The Texas oil industry employs hundreds of thousands of workers and is one of the state’s largest industries. However, working on an oil rig comes with many risks. When accidents happen, they can be catastrophic and cause devastating injuries.
If you have been injured in an oil rig accident, you should reach out to an experienced Houston attorney as soon as possible. The Paxton Law Firm can help you get the compensation that you deserve.
There are many different types of accidents that can happen on oil rigs in Texas. Below are a few of the most common accidents:
• Fires and explosions. High-pressure lines bursting or leaking, well blowouts and improperly stored fuel can all lead to fires and explosions on oil rigs.
• Falls. Falls from derricks, platforms, unguarded heights, slippery stairs, unsecured ladders, and hoists can cause serious injuries. Employers are required to have fall prevention equipment in place to protect employees.
• Collisions in Transit. Accidents sometimes occur as the company transports equipment and workers to remote oil rig work sites.
• Equipment Accidents. Derricks, rotating wellhead equipment, cables, pipes, high-pressure lines, and other heavy machinery and equipment are essential to oil rig work. Workers can get crushed by equipment or have appendages get caught in machinery. Additionally, employees are at risk of being hit by falling equipment, swinging cables, pipes, or casing.
• Exposure to Toxic Chemicals. Exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals used in the oil extraction process can lead to burns and damage to the body and organs.
Various factors can lead to an oil rig accident. Often, these accidents could be prevented if proper precautions were taken. Below are three of the most common causes of oil rig accidents in Texas.
• Defective or improperly maintained equipment. All equipment must be in safe working condition and regularly maintained. Sometimes employers delay equipment maintenance to save costs and avoid delays, but if equipment fails, it can result in severe injuries.
• Improperly trained employees. All employees must be trained and properly supervised. Oil rig workers who have not received appropriate safety training can put everyone at risk.
• Lack of proper safety equipment. Employers must provide safety equipment to their employees, such as hard hats, flame-resistant clothing, and fall protection.
The severity of your injuries will depend on the type of accident, the conditions of the worksite, and the protective equipment used. Some common oil rig injuries include:
• Crush injuries,
• Fractured bones,
• Internal organ damage,
• Loss of limbs,
• Back injuries,
• Head injuries, and
• Repetitive stress injuries.
If you were injured on an oil rig, you should seek medical treatment immediately. Under the law, you have the right to medical treatment from the doctor and medical facility of your choice. You do not have to use the medical professionals recommended by your employer or the insurance company.
Being in an oil rig accident is overwhelming. Afterward, you may be facing insurmountable medical bills and be forced to take time off work for months, if not permanently. It is critical to get the compensation that you deserve.
The compensation you are entitled to will depend on your injuries and the unique facts and circumstances surrounding your case. Some common damages that are available in oil rig accidents include:
• Lost income,
• Past and future medical expenses,
• Rehabilitation and physical therapy,
• Loss of future earning capacity,
• Pain and suffering, and
• Mental anguish.
Oil rig accidents demand strong legal action. It is critical to find a Houston attorney who has experience in oil rig accident cases. Federal and Texas state laws regarding oil rig accidents are very complicated, and without the help of a professional, it is almost impossible to understand your legal rights. An attorney will guide you through the legal process and advocate for your rights. They will ensure that you receive the compensation that you deserve.
If you were injured in an oil rig accident, call the Paxton Law Firm. We have represented injured persons involved in oil rig accidents for nearly twenty years.
Let us review your case and advise you of your rights. The Paxton Law Firm believes in taking the stress of dealing with your legal battles and turning a negative situation into the best possible outcome lady justice allows. We offer free consultations, and you do not pay any legal fees until we recover for you.
Do you believe you have a case? Understand that time is of the essence in getting you the justice you deserve! We would love to hear from you.