After most accidents there are injuries and unfortunately sometimes there are catastrophic injuries. Catastrophic injuries are the most severe and the most expensive injuries. They are the injuries that leave permanent scars, long-term difficulties, and lifelong pain and suffering. Such injuries are often life changing.
While broken bones, lacerations, and joint damage can be serious, catastrophic injuries are a step up.
Defining Catastrophic Injuries
Texas law doesn’t have a legal definition for “catastrophic injury.” But as a rule, they are significant injuries that permanently change the trajectory of a person’s life. A person with these types of injuries may never walk again, nor return to work. They will need specific medical care for the rest of their lives and may not be able to function independently.
These types of injuries include:
• Spinal cord injuries, which can lead to loss of motor function, and even permanent paralysis
• Traumatic brain injuries (TBI), which can lead to physical and mental impairment, as well as risk for degenerative brain disease. TBI can occur after the head is hit or struck with force by an object or another person.
• Vision and/or hearing loss, which can also occur after the head is hit or struck with force. Other high-volume exposure without protection, such as an explosion, can also lead to loss of hearing, as well as other damage to the ears and eyes. This type of loss requires a learning curve to live without sight, hearing, or both.
• Loss of limbs (amputations), which will require physical therapy to re-learn walking or other functions. Prosthetics offer some assistance but need to be replaced periodically.
• Burns—Disfigurement, Scarring, which is usually painful and requires extensive medical care, including multiple surgeries. This type of injury can also leave a victim with psychological injuries as well.
Many patients with a catastrophic injury need long-term 24-hour care, which can be difficult for family members to provide. Some will need long-term physical therapy to return to some kind of “normal.” Others may need a life care planner to understand what they will need and how their life will be going forward.
Causes Of Catastrophic Injuries
Accidents can happen anywhere, but the most common causes are:
• Car crashes
• Workplace accidents
• Slip and fall accidents
• Dog bites or other animal attacks (i.e., large dog knocking over someone, leading to spinal or brain injuries)
• Medical mistakes or malpractice
• Defective products, such as motor vehicles, heavy equipment, or household appliances
Many of these incidents result from someone else’s negligence that led to the accident that caused your injuries.
Catastrophic injuries are usually financially devastating. Medical expenses alone for such injuries can be in the millions of dollars for example TBI or spinal cord injuries. Add to that, the loss of income during the recovery period or permanent loss of one’s livelihood and you can be left wondering how you’ll pay your bills or how you will support yourself and your family.
Why You Should Work With a Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Following the initial impact of the accident, you’ll begin to think about how you’ll pay for your medical care and other expenses going forward. This is where a Houston personal injury attorney specializing in catastrophic injuries can help you recover lost wages, medical expenses, and other expenses to compensate you for your losses and obtain money for future expenses.
Working with an experienced catastrophic injury attorney who will fight to get you fair compensation, like the attorneys of Paxton Law, is critical to your future. At Paxton Law, we will work with experts to determine how much you need for future medical care and other expenses, investigate your accident, negotiate with the insurance companies, and so much more.
Having a qualified attorney means that you gain some peace of mind knowing you are in caring legal hands.
In Texas you have only two years from the date of your accident to file your suit or lose your chances of ever recovering anything. Speak with a catastrophic injury attorney as soon as you are able or if you are too injured, a loved one should speak to an attorney on your behalf so that you don’t miss opportunity to file a claim or lawsuit.
Houston Catastrophic Injury Attorney
You shouldn’t even consider handling your claim on your own. Insurance companies want to give you the least amount of compensation they can get away with. An experienced personal injury law firm will help you get the maximum compensation you need and deserve for catastrophic injuries.
Contact Paxton Law Firm today, and we’ll review your case and advise you. The Paxton Law Firm knows that a catastrophic injury is life changing and will work to get you the compensation you need. We offer free consultations and will work with you regarding legal fees.