There is no specific legal definition for catastrophic injury in Texas. However, it typically refers to injuries that are significant enough to change your life permanently.
A catastrophic injury is an injury that leaves you disabled, needing ongoing medical treatment, or with a decreased quality of life. They have a life-changing impact not only on the victim but their family also.
A catastrophic injury will change your life. If you have suffered a catastrophic injury, you should reach out to a local Houston personal injury lawyer.
There are various types of catastrophic injuries. Common types of catastrophic injuries in Houston include:
• Traumatic brain injuries. If you strike your head or it is hit with an object by considerable force, you may suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI). A TBI can result in physical, cognitive, and emotional impairment. It also puts you at an increased risk for degenerative brain disease.
• Spinal cord injuries. Spinal cord injuries cause damage to your sensory and motor nerves. If the spinal cord is fully severed, you will suffer paralysis below the site of the injury.
• Amputation. Intense physical therapy is required to return to a normal way of life with a missing limb. Prosthetic devices can help but may not completely restore function. These devices require ongoing costs as they are required to be replaced every few years.
• Vision and Hearing Loss. Vision and hearing loss may be caused by explosions, severe head trauma, or damage to the eyes and ears. We depend on our sense of vision and hearing for everyday life. It is an extreme shift to learn to cope without them.
• Burns Scarring and Disfigurement. In addition to undergoing multiple surgeries, being severely burned can cause significant psychological damage.
There are endless ways that a person can suffer a catastrophic injury. Common causes of catastrophic injuries in Houston include:
• Car crashes,
• Slip and falls,
• Workplace injuries,
• Defective products,
• Medical professional errors, and
• Acts of violence.
If you have suffered a catastrophic injury, you are most likely facing insurmountable expenses. The costs associated with a catastrophic injury are much higher as compared to other injuries.
You may be able to file a personal injury claim and recover damages if another person’s carelessness, recklessness, or intentional misconduct caused your injury. To get compensation, you must be able to prove that another person was at fault. The amount of compensation you are owed will fluctuate depending on whether you were partially at fault for the accident.
Below are examples of the types of compensatory damages available in Houston catastrophic injury cases:
• Medical bills (past and future),
• Lost wages,
• Pain and suffering,
• Mental anguish,
• Physical limitation,
• Reduced earning capacity, and
• Reduced quality of life.
Under certain circumstances, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. The purpose of punitive damages is to punish the person responsibly, not compensate you for your injury.
There is no reason to be struggling and in debt after a catastrophic injury because of someone else’s negligence or wrongful actions. An experienced Houston attorney can help you recover the compensation that you deserve. A qualified attorney will:
• Work with the proper experts to calculate your future expenses, such as medical costs and lost earnings;
• Investigate the accident and determine who bears liability for your injuries;
• Gather evidence, including contacting witnesses;
• Hire expert witnesses;
• Handle communications with your insurance company;
• Engage in settlement negotiations;
• File a personal injury lawsuit in court; and
• Represent you aggressively at trial.
After suffering an injury, a lawsuit may be the last thing that you want to deal with. However, you should not make the mistake of waiting to find an attorney. In Texas, you generally have two years to file a personal injury suit. If you wait longer than two years from the date of your catastrophic injury, you most likely will be entitled to nothing.
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury, call the Paxton Law Firm. We have represented injured persons involved in these types of accidents for nearly twenty years.
Let us review your case and advise you of your rights. The Paxton Law Firm believes in taking the stress of dealing with your legal battles and turning a negative situation into the best possible outcome lady justice allows. We offer free consultations, and you do not pay any legal fees until we recover for you.
Do you believe you have a case? Understand that time is of the essence in getting you the justice you deserve! We would love to hear from you.