Head-on collisions are one of the most dangerous types of car crashes in Houston. In a head-on accident, both vehicles are traveling towards one another before the accident, and they have a direct impact on one another. These types of accidents happen when one vehicle crosses over the centerline or median, or a driver travels in the wrong direction down the road.
While head-on collisions account for 2% of overall accidents, they make up 10% of all car accident fatalities.
If you or a loved one were involved in a head-on collision, you should reach out to a Houston car accident attorney. The Paxton Law Firm will aggressively defend your rights and ensure that you get the compensation that you deserve.
There are very few head-on collisions that do not result in injury. Often the injuries are serious and can be cause permanent disability. Some common head-on collisions injuries include:
• Spinal injuries, including paralysis;
• Traumatic brain injuries;
• Broken bones;
• Organ damage; and
• Neck and back injuries.
In addition to physical injuries, head-on collisions can cause post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). If you were involved in a head-on collision, you should immediately seek treatment from a qualified medical professional. It is critical never to underestimate the seriousness of your injuries.
In Houston, head-on collisions are most often caused by a driver’s negligent or reckless behavior. A few of the most common causes of head-on collisions in Houston are listed below.
• Impaired driving. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is against the law in Houston. It severely impacts your judgment and ability to operate your vehicle.
• Drowsy driving. Driving while you are tired causes you to have slower reaction times and impaired judgment. In some cases, drivers actually fall asleep at the wheel.
• Distracted driving. Distracted driving occurs when the driver is engaged in another activity that takes their attention away from the road (e.g., texting, changing the radio station, eating, or talking to another passenger). Taking your eyes away from the road for even a few seconds can cause a head-on collision.
• Speeding. Speeding around curves is a common cause of head-on collisions. When a driver is speeding, it is harder to stop the vehicle, and injuries are more likely to be severe because of the increased force.
• Improper Passing. Head-on collisions can occur when a driver misjudges the time they have to pass a car safely, or they pass a vehicle in a no-pass zone.
The above list is not exhaustive. Your attorney will investigate all the evidence of your case to determine the cause of your accident.
If you were involved in a head-on collision in Houston, you have the right to seek financial compensation for your injuries. The value of your claim is primarily dependent on the severity of your injuries. Types of compensation that may be available include:
• Past and future medical expenses,
• Physical therapy,
• Pain and suffering,
• Loss of income, and
• Loss of future income.
An experienced Houston car accident attorney can help you determine the value of your claim.
If you were injured in a head-on collision, you should first seek medical treatment for any injuries you sustained. Next, you should consult with a local Houston car accident attorney as soon as possible. Importantly, you should never talk to the other driver’s insurance company before speaking with your attorney. They may try to deny fault, downplay your injuries, or offer a lower settlement than what you are entitled to.
A qualified car accident attorney will investigate the accident and evaluate all the evidence in your case. They will educate you on your rights under Texas law and negotiate with the other parties on your behalf. If necessary, your attorney will take your case to court to get you the compensation that you deserve.
If you were injured in a head-on collision, call the Paxton Law Firm. We have represented injured persons involved in these types of accidents for nearly twenty years.
Let us review your case and advise you of your rights. The Paxton Law Firm believes in taking the stress of dealing with your legal battles and turning a negative situation into the best possible outcome lady justice allows. We offer free consultations, and you do not pay any legal fees until we recover for you.
Do you believe you have a case? Understand that time is of the essence in getting you the justice you deserve! We would love to hear from you.