header logo

How Do I Know What My Case Is Worth?

Our Practice Areas

PErsonal injury

After you have been injured by someone else’s negligence, a personal injury case might be the correct decision for you. Now, you may want to see just how much you can get in your settlement.

The attorneys at Paxton Law Firm have spent many years fighting for our clients. We know what a case is worth and we know how to win it.

Contact Info

Address:

515 Post Oak Blvd. Suite 510 Houston, TX 77027

Phone:

281-978-2244

Hours:

Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 5:00

Damages You Can Receive

There are many different types of damages that you can receive from a personal injury case. All of these damages fall into one of two categories, economic damages, also known as special damages, and non-economic damages which are also called general damages. Obtaining a settlement to address these damages is critical.

Economic Damages

Economic/Special damages are those that can be easily quantified. This can include things such as

  • Property Damage
  • Medical Expenses
  • Lost Wages
  • Future Lost Wages
  • Future Medical Care Cost

Each of these factors can be added up to a final economic damages number.

Non-Economic Damages

Non-Economic Damages are those that cannot be easily quantified into a money amount. They can include:

  • Pain And Suffering
  • Loss of Quality of Life
  • Permanent Scarring
  • Loss of Companionship
  • Loss of Consortium

These factors, while not easily put into a numerical value, are also added to the list of damages you can recover in your settlement.

Multipliers

So, if non-economic damages are difficult to quantify, how do you quantify them? When reviewing your case, a multiplier is used to calculate the non-economic damages amount. This is done by adding up all of the economic damages and multiplying them by a number between 1.5 and 5.

The number that is used as the multiplier is determined by the level of suffering you have experienced. It is objective, but the more severe a case is, the higher the multiplier. For example, a multiplier of 1.5 might be used in a personal injury claim in regards to a car accident, where the injured person got a scratch but nothing more. On the other hand, a multiplier of 5 might be used if they were injured in a car accident that resulted in permanent brain damage, loss of ability to work, loss of consortium, and a permanent disability.

Calculating a Personal Injury Case

There are two main numbers you will need to calculate the estimated value of your personal injury case. You will need the total amount of economic damages and your total amount of non-economic damages. Once you have the total economic damages, you will multiply that amount by your chosen multiplier to get the total amount of non-economic damages. You will then add the economic and non-economic damages together to get the total value that your case is worth.

Factors that Can Affect This

This calculation method is just a way to get an estimate of how much money your case is worth. The actual amount you will receive can be influenced by a number of factors. For example, in the state of Texas, personal injury cases are considered under a modified comparative negligence clause.

What does this mean? Well, essentially it means that if both people are found responsible for the injury, then you could get less than the total amount your case is worth. Why is that? If both people are found to be at fault over the injury, that allows both of them to receive financial compensation for the accident. The total amount you receive is calculated based on the percentage “at-fault” you are found to be. If you are found to be 10% responsible for the injury, you will only get 90% of the total amount that your case is worth. The other person “at-fault” will receive the remaining 10%.

Work with a Personal Injury Lawyer to Get the Most

Whatever your personal injury case or situation, working with an experienced personal injury lawyer will help you get the most from your case. We know when the big businesses are holding out and we know how to get the maximum amount for you. Work with the lawyers at Paxton Law Firm to get the most out of your settlement. Don’t suffer in silence, call us at 281-978-2244, or schedule a free consultation on our website.

paxton logo
“We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies it is the first law of nature.”

— Voltaire

Phone:

281-978-2244

Tell us about your case

FREE CONSULTATION

Do you believe you have a case? Understand that time is of the essence in getting you the justice you deserve! We would love to hear from you.