Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can be life-changing not only for you but also for your family.
According to the CDC, there are 1.7 million traumatic brain injuries every year in the United States, and these injuries contribute to an estimated 30 percent of all injury deaths.
If you have suffered a TBI, you should reach out to a local Houston personal injury attorney. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
A traumatic brain injury occurs when a blow, jolt, bump, or penetrating injury to the head impairs the normal operating functions of the brain. TBI cases range from mild to severe and can even result in death.
Even mild TBI injuries can cause life-long damage. Common symptoms include:
• Personality changes,
• Impaired memory and cognitive function,
• Impaired movement,
• Impaired sensation,
• Seizures, and
Treatment for TBIs can be long-term and expensive. It may involve medications, surgery, and rehabilitation.
A traumatic injury can arise from various events. Regardless of the cause, it is critical to take TBI injuries seriously. A few common causes of TBIs in Houston include:
If you have suffered a TBI injury in Houston, you may be able to recover compensation if someone else’s negligent or wrongful act caused your injury. It is possible to recover both economic and non-economic damages to help offset the devastating harms and losses you suffered.
Some examples of damages that you may be entitled to include:
• Medical bills. You may be reimbursed for past and future medical costs associated with the injury, including doctor’s visits, hospitalizations, rehabilitation, and occupational therapy.
• Lost wages. If you suffer a TBI, you may be forced to miss substantial time at work. It is possible to recover compensation for missed wages.
• Lost earning ability. After a TBI injury, it is difficult or impossible for some individuals to earn a living. You may be able to recover compensation for the earnings that you can no longer make.
• Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering provide compensation for non-economic, intangible damages associated with the injury, such as emotional anguish, psychological distress, physical pain, and discomfort.
• Loss of life’s enjoyment. Loss of enjoyment of life provides compensation for the plaintiff’s inability to participate in activities they once enjoyed before the TBI.
• Loss of companionship. Loss of companionship refers to the deprivation of the benefits of married life or parenting.
• Punitive Damages. Punitive damages are available in limited cases where the defendant was grossly negligent, had malicious intent, or engaged in fraud.
The compensation that you are entitled to will depend on the unique facts and circumstances of your case. Compensation can range from a few thousand dollars to over millions. A qualified attorney will analyze your case and inform you of what your case may be worth in Houston civil courts.
If you have suffered a TBI, the first step you should take is to receive medical treatment, even if you do not think your symptoms are serious. Certain symptoms, such as slowed thinking, may not immediately be evident.
After getting evaluated, you should contact a local Houston TBI attorney. It is critical to speak to an attorney before discussing or signing anything with an insurance adjuster. You may be signing away your right to compensation that you are entitled to. In general, you only have two years to file a lawsuit for a TBI injury in Texas.
TBI cases are complex. An experienced attorney can help you understand your rights and explain your options going forward. An attorney will ensure that you will not be taken advantage of by the defendant or insurance company trying to protect their bottom line. They will engage in settlement negotiations and defend you aggressively in court, if necessary.
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury, call the Paxton Law Firm. We have represented injured persons involved in these types of accidents for nearly twenty years.
Let us review your case and advise you of your rights. The Paxton Law Firm believes in taking the stress of dealing with your legal battles and turning a negative situation into the best possible outcome lady justice allows. We offer free consultations, and you do not pay any legal fees until we recover for you.
Do you believe you have a case? Understand that time is of the essence in getting you the justice you deserve! We would love to hear from you.