Texas has one of the highest rates of tractor trailer accidents in the country. If you were injured or lost a loved one in a tractor trailer accident, you should reach out to the Paxton Law Firm.
We will help you get the compensation that you deserve.
Many trucking accidents are preventable. Some common causes of tractor trailer accidents in Houston are listed below.
• Driver Fatigue. Under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, truck drivers can only drive for a certain number of hours at a time and must take mandated rest breaks. Despite these regulations, driver fatigue is still one of the leading causes of trucking accidents in Texas.
• Speeding. It is extremely dangerous when tractor trailers speed. Because of their size, trucks are difficult to control and need more time to stop.
• Lack of training. Driving a tractor trailer requires special training and qualification. Inexperienced drivers without proper training are much more likely to cause an accident.
• Distracted driving. Truck drivers must stay alert and aware while on the road. If a driver is texting, eating, or otherwise distracted, an accident can result.
• Improper Maintenance and Repair. Tractor trailers are constantly on the road and must be regularly maintained. Issues such as faulty brake lights, faulty side reflectors, and brake failure can all lead to accidents.
• Road and Weather Conditions. Truck drivers must respond to road and weather conditions. If it is too dangerous, the driver needs to slow down or pull over.
No matter what the cause of your accident was, you should contact an experienced Houston truck accident attorney as soon as possible.
There are various types of tractor trailer accidents. Some of the most common types of tractor trailer accidents in Houston are:
• Underride. A smaller vehicle gets crushed and lodged underneath the trailer of the truck.
• Rear-end. A tractor trailer crashes into the back of the smaller vehicle.
• Rollover. A tractor trailer tips over onto its side.
• Jackknife. The cab and the trailer fold in on each other to form a 90-degree angle.
• Blind Spot. Because of their size, trucks have a much larger blind spot than smaller passenger cars. Collisions can occur when a tractor trailer turns or switches lanes into another vehicle.
• Head-on. A tractor trailer collides with the front-end of a smaller car.
Accidents involving tractor trailers often result in severe, and sometimes fatal, injuries. If you were involved in a truck accident in Houston, the first thing that you should do is to seek proper medical attention, even if you are not immediately aware of any serious injuries. Some common injuries include:
• Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI);
• Internal injuries, including damage to organs and internal bleeding;
• Spinal cord injuries;
• Disfigurement and scarring;
• Damage to muscles, ligaments, and tendons; and
• Fractures and dislocations.
The damages that you will receive will depend on the unique facts and circumstances of your case. Potential damages that you may be entitled to include:
• Past and future medical bills,
• Lost wages or earning capacity,
• Pain and suffering, and
• Loss of consortium.
In addition, Texas allows punitive damages in situations where there was extreme recklessness, willful disregard of safety, malice, or fraud.
It is critical to reach out to a qualified tractor trailer accident attorney as soon as possible. Unfortunately, trucking and insurance companies often take advantage of unrepresented individuals who do not know their rights under the law.
It is important to find a Houston attorney that has experience with these types of cases. Tractor trailer accident claims are rarely straightforward, and multiple parties could be held liable for your injuries, including the truck driver, trucking company, shipping company, and truck manufacturer. Your attorney will investigate the accident and calculate an appropriate settlement. They will negotiate with the defendants, and if necessary, take the case to trial.
If you were injured in a tractor trailer accident, call the Paxton Law Firm. We have represented injured persons involved in tractor trailer accidents for nearly twenty years.
Let us review your case and advise you of your rights. The Paxton Law Firm believes in taking the stress of dealing with your legal battles and turning a negative situation into the best possible outcome lady justice allows. We offer free consultations, and you do not pay any legal fees until we recover for you.
Do you believe you have a case? Understand that time is of the essence in getting you the justice you deserve! We would love to hear from you.